7 Must-Have Summer Super Foods
This summer, stock your fridge these seven must-have foods. Rich in a variety of nutrients, these all-star foods have a lot in common. They taste best in the warmer months, they’re as healthy as can be and they’re very, very good for you.
1. Lemons – One lemon contains more than 100 percent of your daily vitamin C intake, which can strengthen bones. Lemon juice is also a natural antiseptic that can destroy harmful bacteria found in cuts.
Roasted Broccoli with Lemon, Garlic and Pine Nuts
2. Beets – These pretty vegetables are a good source for vitamin C, fiber, Foliate and potassium. Load up your salads with beets every couple a days to start to feel their nutritious effects.
Bean and Beet Salad
3. Blueberries – Even if you only eat one cup of blueberries a day, you’ll still be getting plenty of antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber. Fresh throughout the summer, stock up on these super fruits.
Blueberry Quick Bread
4. Bell Peppers – Vitamin A can be found in these mild peppers that go great with dips or in a freshly cut salad. Eat them raw or roast them on the grill, and make sure to try all the different varieties.
Mushroom and Bell Pepper Chicken Breasts
Simply Stuffed Red Peppers
5. Watermelon – Often called the perfect summer fruit, the health benefits of watermelon are still often overlooked. The truth is that it contains vitamins, minerals and amino acids plus the antioxidant lycopene.
Watermelon and Blue Cheese Salad
6. Iced Tea – Most summer drinks are made to cool you off. Those soft drinks and fruit juices are loaded with wasted calories, but instead of sipping on H20 all summer, stick to some fresh iced tea. It will provide you with loads of antioxidants.
Iced Rhubarb Tea
Summer Iced Tea
7. Corn – Grilling up some sweet corn is healthier than you think. One ear of sweet corn contains three grams of fiber, plus folate, vitamin C, magnesium and potassium. Plus it tastes fantastic!
Hot Corn Salad
For more great super foods, check out the Best Antioxidant Foods.