Caveman Diet 101: A Guide to Paleo-Eating
1. No calorie counting or portion control. Do you think cavemen cared what TV doctors had to say?
2. Butter, clarified butter, and coconut oil are all unlimited. Animal fat is also permissable, but only from healthy sources. Guess Paula Deen would be a good cavewoman.
3. Avocado and olive oil are fine for drizzling, but don't cook with them.
4. Cut out all vegetable oils like margarine, soybean, corn, peanut, canola, safflower, and sunflower oils.
5. Eat generous amounts of poultry, eggs, red and organ meats, fish, and shellfish. Don't trim the fat either. Eat the piece of meat as it appears in nature. Also try to use every part of the animal like the bones for stock.
6. Eat lots of vegetables cooked in the approved fats. Any type of potato is also okay, as long as there's some fat with it. Fresh or frozen vegetables are okay here. Though cavemen didn't have freezers, I'm sure they won't mind.
7. Restrict fruits and nuts. Fruits are naturally high in sugar, but some berries are okay. Macadamia nuts are also okay. If you want to lose weight faster, cut fruits and nuts out all together. Cavemen didn't get holiday fruit and nut mixes, so you can't have them.
8. Cut out all cereal grains and legumes from your diet. This includes wheat, oats, barley, corn, brown rice, rye, soy, kidney beans, pinto beans, navy beans and black eyed peas.
9. Eliminate sugary snacks, soft drinks, and packaged products. At the grocery store, visit only the meat, fish and produce sections. Cavemen didn't enjoy Black Forest Cake, so neither will you.
10. Eat only when you're hungry and don't worry about skipping meals. Cavemen were too busy being chased by woolly mammoths to keep a schedule.
11. De-Stress and sleep as much as possible. Even though there weren't any DVD players to play Jane Fonda's yoga videos, we recommend something like that.
12. Don’t over-exercise. Short amounts of exercise with high intensity are better than long sessions. If you're tired, skip a day.