DIY Simple Summer Shandy
This summer don’t limit yourself to pre-bottled varieties of Summer Shandy. The next time you are at a summer barbecue of just in the mood for a lighter summer brew, try making your own Summer Shandy. You will be the hit of the party with this super simple recipe.
Wow your friends with a little history lesson of the IPA.
The history of IPA dates back to the early 1700s. When British troops and citizens living in India under Britain’s colonial rule didn’t have access to the dark malt beers they were accustomed to. Shipping beer to India wasn’t an option. Due to the long journey from Great Britain to India and the hot temperatures the beer would often become flat and spoil. That left the soldiers and British citizens without any beer.
To amend the beer issue the IPA was created. By creating a lighter beer with plenty of hops it was able to withstand the long voyage to India and the rough ride on open waters.
That is why the IPAs enjoyed today have that super hoppy taste and malty sweet flavor.
Here's how to make your own Summer Shandy:
Simple Summer Shandy
1 recipe Fresh-Squeezed Lemonade
2 IPAs of your choice.
1. Pour equal parts lemonade to fill 4 chilled pint beer glass halfway.
2. Top each glass with the IPA. Garish with a lemon and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
1 C. fresh lemon juice
¾ C. sugar
1. Over medium heat combine and cook sugar and ¾ C. water until sugar melts to create a simple syrup.
2. Cool and add syrup mixture to 4 C. water in a large pitcher.
3. Stir in lemon juice. Serve.
Always enjoy responsibly.