Gather Up the Gang to Carve Pumpkins
How to Find the Perfect Pumpkin:
First off, finding places that sell pumpkins around this time of year is going to be easy. Depending on how much time you have, you can decide whether you want to purchase one at a grocery store or go to an actual pumpkin patch, which I highly recommend. Not only will pumpkin patches get you in the spirit of carving a jack-o-lantern, but you will find a greater selection of sizes and shapes at a pumpkin patch.
You can either decide to have your guests bring their own or you can supply them to everyone. But, just remember that selecting the right pumpkin is very important, and you should pick yours based on what picture you're going to carve.
* Small Pumpkins - used for carving traditional faces or even drawing faces with permanent markers (for the young ones in the group).
* Medium Pumpkins - used for stenciling faces and carving.
* Large Pumpkins - used for more elaborate designs.
Here are some tips to remember when picking out the right pumpkin:
* When selecting pumpkins make sure yours is as smooth as possible, and free of scratches, and dents.
* Never carry a pumpkin by its stem. You do not want to take the chance of the stem breaking off.
* Be very careful transporting your pumpkins back to your house. Bruising can shorten its life span.
* If you find a pumpkin you think is perfect but it is missing a stem do not stress. When carving the pumpkin remember to cut out a circular opening on the bottom. That way you can still place the candle inside the pumpkin without burning yourself.
After you have purchased your pumpkins, the next step is buying the right utensils for carving. Below are the basic utensils and tools needed to get the job done:
* A large spoon or ice cream scoop
* Thin bladed sharp knife
* Pencil or pen to draw out the face
Since this is a party, decorating is an important factor in this type of gathering as well. To get everyone in the spirit of Halloween you should put some decorations around your home. Below are some ideas how you get all your guests in the mood for carving pumpkins.
* Instead of using newspaper to cover the table you are going to carve the pumpkins on, find a Halloween themed table cloth.
* Play some spooky Halloween music in the background, or if you have a television and VHS/DVD player accessible put on a scary Halloween movie.
* Put out a bowl of your favorite Halloween candy for your guests to nibble on.
Since you are carving numerous pumpkins why not take advantage of the seeds and roast them while everyone is carving. You simply cannot have a pumpkin carving party without delicious, roasted pumpkin seeds.
Note: Some of these recipes below have the same title but they're all different!
You and your guests are going to be thirsty after eating all the roasted pumpkin seeds, so here are some recipes for Halloween punches for your guests to sip on: