How to Cook Popcorn on the Stove
What you need:
- peanut, canola or vegetable oil
- popcorn kernels
- Pot with a large surface area so your kernels are spread out
- A lid that fits on top of your pot
- Add the oil to a pot over medium high heat. A good rule of thumb is 3 tablespoons for 1 cup of popcorn. You want the oil to cover the bottom of the pot.
- Add three kernels.
- When the kernels pop, add the remaining kernels and cover. If you want crisper, drier popcorn, try leaving the lid slightly ajar.
- Gently shake the pot over the burner to prevent the kernels from becoming charred.
- Continue shaking until most kernels have popped and you don’t hear any rolling around in the pot.
- Once there are several seconds between pops, remove the pot from the heat and continue to shake, a few kernels will pop.
- Immediately pour into a bowl and enjoy!
Now take your popcorn to the next level! What’s great about popping it yourself is that you can add any herbs, spices and salts that you like. Just be sure to add them while the popcorn is still warm.