How to Make a King Cake for Mardi Gras
See the original recipe here!
Here are the ingredients that you’ll need
* two 1/4-oz. pkgs. active dry yeast
* 1/2 C. white sugar
* 1 C. warm milk (at approximately 110 degrees)
* 1/2 C. butter, melted
* 5 egg yolks
* 4 C. all-purpose flour
* 2 tsp. salt
* 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
* 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
* one 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese
* 1/2 C. confectioners' sugar
* 2 C. confectioners' sugar
* 1/4 C. lemon juice
* 2 Tbs. milk
* 1 Tbs. multicolored candy sprinkles
* 1 small novelty plastic baby, found at craft supply store
1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and white sugar in warm milk. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes. Stir the egg yolks and melted butter into the milk mixture.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, nutmeg and lemon zest. Beat the flour mixture into the milk/egg mixture 1 cup at a time.
3. When the dough has pulled together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and supple, about 8 minutes.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, about 2 hours.
5. In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar. Mix well.
6. In another small bowl, combine the remaining 2 cup confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and 2 tablespoons. milk. Mix well and set aside.
7. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll the dough out into a 6x30-inch rectangle. Spread the cream cheese filling across the center of the dough. Bring the two long edges together and seal completely.
8. Using your hands shape the dough into a long cylinder and place on a greased baking sheet, seam-side down.
9. Shape the dough into a ring and press the baby into the ring from the bottom so that it is completely hidden by the dough. Place a well-greased 2-pound metal coffee can the center of the ring to maintain the shape during baking. Cover the ring with a towel and place in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
10. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake in preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Remove the coffee can and allow the bread to cool.
11. Drizzle cooled cake with lemon/sugar glaze and decorate with candy sprinkles.
Looking for even more Mardi Gras recipes to make your celebration extra-special? Click here for our top 10!