How To Make an American Flag Cake for the Fourth of July
See the original recipe here!
Here are the ingredients that you’ll need:
* About 1 Tbs. margarine
* A small amount of flour
* 1 package (2-layer size) white cake mix (plus necessary ingredients)
* 1 package (4-serving size) JELL-O brand gelatin, any red flavor
* 1 C. boiling water
* 1/2 C. cold water
* 3 1/2 C. (8-oz. container) Cool Whip brand whipped topping, thawed
* 1 pt. strawberries, washed and sliced
* 1 C. blueberries, washed
* 1 C. miniature marshmallows
1. Grease a 9x13 inch pan with margarine and dust lightly with flour. Prepare, mix, and bake cake mix according to package directions. Cool cake for 15 minutes. With a large fork, make holes in the cake about every 1/2 inch.
2. Pour gelatin into mixing bowl. Add boiling water and use scraper to mix thoroughly until gelatin is completely dissolved. Use a measuring cup to pour the gelatin over the cake. (It will run down into holes, making the sliced cake have red stripes.) Chill cake in refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours.
3. Cover a large baking sheet or cutting board (larger than the 9x13 pan) with aluminum foil. Put about one inch of warm water in kitchen sink. Take pan out of refrigerator and dip bottom (don't let water come up over sides) into water for about 10 seconds. Put large tray on top of cake, and invert.
4. Frost sides and top with whipped topping. Arrange strawberries and marshmallows in alternating rows for stripes, leaving upper left for field of blueberries. Chill again until time to serve.
More Flag Cake Recipes:
Barefoot Contessa's Flag Cake
Red, White, & Blue Cream Cake
Quick USA Cake
Top 10 Fourth of July Desserts
Top 10 Fouth of July Potluck Side Dishes
Our Favorite Red White and Blue Recipes