How to Make Homemade Butter
This is a favorite activity to do with kids, partially because they like to see the chemical reaction of the cream, and partially because it takes a long time to shake and only kids have that much energy! It's a very simple process and a big treat to be able to spread homemade butter on hot rolls and toast.
1. Buy double cream and let it warm to room temperature.
2. Pour into a clean jar until about half way full.
3. Screw lid on tightly and shake vigorously for about a half hour to an hour until butter starts to form. (This is a good time to get kids involved, especially if they're full of energy.)
4. Drain buttermilk into a cup.
5. Fill jar with water and carefully pour out. Continue doing this until water runs clear.
6. Put butter on a board and press down to remove any remaining buttermilk. If any buttermilk is left, it will cause the butter to sour.
7. Wrap butter and refrigerate.
Try some of these bread recipes to pair with your homemade butter.