Easy Ice Cream Cake
- 1 9-inch chocolate layer cake (only 1 layer), baked or store bought.
- 1 qt. chocolate ice cream (or whatever flavor you prefer)
- 1 qt. strawberry ice cream (or whatever flavor you prefer, as long as there are two different flavors)
- 1/2 pkg. chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1 1/2 pts. heavy cream
- 1/4 C. powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- decorations (i.e. melted chocolate and nuts)
Line 9 or 10-inch spring form pan with plastic wrap. Cut cake layer in half. Place one half in bottom of plastic lined pan. Place first flavor of ice cream (softened) on top of cake layer. Sprinkle crushed cookies on top of this layer. Place second ice cream flavor on top of cookie crumbs being careful to spread evenly. Place second half of cake layer on top and press down gently. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.When ready to decorate, whip cream with sugar and vanilla (I sometimes use powdered egg whites or meringue powder to help stabilize the cream, about 2 Tbs., this is optional.) When cream holds stiff peaks, remove cake from freezer and place on cardboard on freezer proof platter. Cover the cake with the whipped cream, spreading evenly. The remainder of the cream can be used with a decorating bag to pipe a row around the top of the cake (be creative.) Return to freezer. When cream is frozen you can remove cake and decorate with melted chocolate or chocolate syrup, nuts, cherries, etc. Return to freezer. Remove about 10 or so minutes before serving.