Spaghetti & Meatball Cake
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 box of yellow or white cake mix, made by box directions
- Buttercream frosting for spaghetti:
- 2 lbs. confectioner's 10x sugar
- 8 drops of yellow food coloring
- 1/4 tsp, light cocoa
- 1C. + 1/2 C. unsalted butter
- 1 Tbs. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs. milk
- Chocolate truffle meatballs:
- 4 oz. softened cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 C. confectioner's 10x sugar
- 1 C. semi sweet chocolate chips, melted & cooled
- 1 C. finely chopped walnuts, if desired
- 20 oz. strawberry preserves
- grated white chocolate for "Parmesan cheese"
Cake: Make a yellow or white cake mix or any cake of your choice, according to box directions. Make 2 even layers in an 8" cake pan, remove from oven, and cool on rack. When cool, cut off ends on 2 facing sides to make an oval shape & place on oval platter. (You can make a large round cake-1 layer- and use a round platter, too.)
Spaghetti topping: Make buttercream frosting with the 10x sugar, and add the yellow food coloring and cocoa to make it look like real pasta. Mix well. You will have a large amount. Frost the oval cake and put remaining buttercream into an ordinary plastic bag. Snip off the end of the bag and pipe the swirls up, down, and over, leaving a small well in the middle top of the cake. You could also use a pastry bag with #4 or #5 tip.
Sauce: Take strawberry preserves and warm on stove or microwave. Do not cook to long- just enough to loosen it and make it pourable.
Meatballs: These can be made the day before. Melt chocolate chips first, then stir in cream cheese, 10x sugar, vanilla, and nuts (if desired). Shape into meatballs and, if made the day before, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Assembly: Place meatballs over the well you left on top of the cake and spoon sauce over all, letting it drip a bit down the side. To finish, grate white chocolate on top for the Parmesan cheese look!