- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 tart apple, such as Pippin, Granny Smith, or Fuji, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/3 C. shredded 2% sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 C. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 C. low fat (1%) milk
- 1 Tbs. reduced-fat margarine, melted
Preheat oven to 450F. Lightly coat 8 popover cups with cooking spray. Place 1 Tbs. each of the apple and cheese at the bottom of each popover cup. In a food processor or blender, combine eggs, flour, and salt. Process until well blended. With the machine running, add milk and margarine through the feed tube. Process until smooth. Fill the cup two-thirds full with the batter. Bake for 15 minutes, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, and continue to bake for another 20 minutes until popovers are puffed and golden brown. Let cool at least 15 minutes, then remove from pan.
Makes 8 servings.