Apple Spice Cake Trifle
- 1 (18.25 oz.) box spice cake mix
- 1 1/4 C. cinnamon applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. vegetable oil
- 1 (21 oz.) can apple pie filling
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 7 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
- 3 C. cold milk
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 envelope whipped topping mix
- 1 (12 oz.) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1/2 C. chopped walnuts
- 1/4 C. English toffee bits or almond brittle chips
In a mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, applesauce, eggs and oil; beat on medium speed of electric mixer for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. In a saucepan, cook pie filling, butter and 1 tsp. cinnamon until butter is melted; stir until well blended. Cool. In a mixing bowl, combine milk, pudding mix, topping mix and remaining cinnamon. Beat on high until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes.Spread a third of the topping in a 6-quart clear glass bowl. Cut cake into cubes; place half over topping. Top with half of the fruit mixture, walnuts and pudding mixture. Repeat layers, ending with remaining topping mixture. Sprinkle with toffee bits. Cover and chill for at least 2 hours.
Yields 20 to 24 servings.