Asian Stir Fry with Spring Peas
- 1 lb. chicken breast tenders
- 1/2 tsp. Chinese five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 tsp. vegetable oil
- 8 oz. snow peas and/or sugar snap peas, strings removed
- 1 medium red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 C. chicken broth
- 1 Tbs. dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 green onions, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 Tbs. grated, peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with garlic press
On waxed paper, sprinkle chicken with Chinese five spice powder and salt. In nonstick 12 inch skillet, heat 1 tsp. oil over medium high heat until hot. Add chicken and cook just until it loses its pink color throughout, about 5 minutes turning once. Transfer to plate; set aside.
To same skillet, add remaining 2 tsp. oil, and cook peas and red pepper until golden, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 2 Tbs. water and cook, covered, 3 minutes or until vegetables are tender crisp, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, in 2 C. glass measuring C., mix broth, brown sugar, soy sauce, and cornstarch.
Add green onions, ginger, and garlic to skillet; cook 1 minute, stirring. Stir broth mixture, then add to skillet; heat to boiling. Boil 30 seconds. Add chicken and heat through.
Makes 4 main dish servings.