Asparagus with Warm Bacon And Sherry Vinaigrette
- 4 thickly sliced strips smoked bacon
- For the vinaigrette:
- 3 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbs. sherry wine vinegar
- 1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves, with stems removed
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. asparagus, washed and tough ends removed
- 1/4 medium red onion, cut into thin lengthwise slivers
In a large skillet over medium heat cook the bacon until browned and crisp, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain on a double thickness of paper towel. Cut into 1/4-inch crosswise pieces and set aside. To make the vinaigrette: In a small bowl whisk the vinaigrette ingredients, including a grinding of black pepper. Set aside. Drizzle the asparagus with 1 Tbs. of the vinaigrette and season with salt. Grill over Direct Medium heat until crisp-tender, 6 to 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Transfer the asparagus to a large deep platter. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle with bacon pieces and slivered red onion. Serve warm or at room temperature. Serve warm.
Makes 4 servings.