Baked Summer Squash Au Gratin
- 2 lbs. scallop squash (summer squash)
- 2 C. well seasoned medium white sauce (made with 4 Tbs. each butter and flour and 2 C. milk)
- 1/4 lb. grated nippy cheese (I use sharp cheddar)
- 2 hard cooked eggs, sliced
- Buttered fine bread crumbs
Dice squash and cook in boiling salted water just until tender; drain. Prepare sauce, remove from heat, and stir in cheese. In a greased casserole arrange a layer of squash and egg slices; cover with a layer of sauce; repeat until all ingredients are used, ending with a layer of sauce; sprinkle buttered bread crumbs over the top. Bake in a moderately hot oven (375 degrees) about 15 minutes, or until crumbs are browned.