Baked Tomato Basil Chicken with Rice Pilaf
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1/2 C. onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14 oz.) can Italian seasoned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 C. basil leaves, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp.pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 C. heavy whipping cream
- Rice Pilaf:
- 1/4 C. nutter
- 1/3 C. onion, finely chopped
- 1 C. uncooked long grain rice
- 2 C. chicken broth
- 1/2-1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 C. cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 C. fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a skillet, melt the butter and add the onion and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
Increase the heat to high and add the tomatoes. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the liquid is almost evaporated. Add the cream and bring to a boil and boil until thickened slightly, about 3 minutes. Stir in the basil, salt, and pepper.
Arrange the chicken in a shallow baking dish and pour the sauce on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
For the rice, melt the butter in a saucepan and saute the onion until soft. Add the rice and stir until coated. Add in the broth and salt. Cover and simmer for 24 to 30 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed. Stir in the cashews and parsley.
Serve the chicken on top of a bed of rice.