Baklava with Caramel Sauce
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 C.finely chopped almonds
- 1 C.finely chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup superfine sugar
- 2 t. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 t. ground cloves
- 1 package phyllo dough, thawed
- 3 sticks of melted butter
- 1 C. water
- 1/4 C. sugar
- 1/2 C. honey
- For Caramel Sauce
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 C. light brown sugar
- 1 1/2C.heavy cream
- 1/4 t.sea salt
- Pinch saffron
1. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl blend well.
Brush a 12 x 10 baking dish with melted butter.
Brush 10-12 sheets of the phyllo dough with melted butter
Lay them in the dish one by another.
Spread the filing on the dough.
Place 10-12 sheets of the dough on top buttering each one as needed.
Trim off the excess dough that is hanging over the dish.
Bake until golden for one hour or until the top is golden brown, If you find it is browning too quickly place tin foil over the top.
Remove from oven and pour syrup over the top.
Let sit for 5-6 hours.
2. While Baklava is baking, make the syrup.
Add water, sugar, and honey into a saucepan and bring to a slight boil.
Stir until all ingredients are dissolved.
Chill at least 1 hour.
3. For the syrup:
Bring all ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat.
Stir constantly with a heat-resistant utensil until sauce coats a spoon.
4. Place a slice of Baklava on a plate and pour the caramel sauce over the top.