- 1 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 C. diced pared butternut squash
- 3 3/4 oz. pearl barley
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 4 oz. drained cooked chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 Tbs. minced, fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. minced, fresh, rosemary leaves
- 2 C. low-sodium vegetable broth
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In large nonstick skillet, heat oil; add onion and squash.
Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 6-7 minutes, until onion is lightly browned. Add barley, salt and 1/4 tsp. of the pepper; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute, until mixture is thoroughly combined. Remove from heat; stir in tomato, chick-peas, parsley, rosemary and remaining 1/4 tsp. pepper. Transfer barley mixture to 1 1/2-qt. baking dish; add broth. Bake, covered, 1 hour; bake uncovered, 15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and mixture is heated through. Divide evenly among 4 plates and serve.
Weight Watchers: 3 points
From: Weight Watchers Slim Ways Hearty Meals cookbook