Barley Salmon Alfredo
- 3 C. cooked pearl barley, cooking directions below
- 1 C. sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained well and chopped
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tbs. chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 C. light Alfredo sauce
- 1/2 C. fat-free sour cream
- 12 oz. cooked salmon fillet, flaked into 1-inch pieces (if using canned salmon, remove and discard bones and skin)
- Grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
In large skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, sauté tomatoes, shallots, basil, parsley and garlic for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cooked barley, Alfredo sauce and sour cream. Cook until heated through. Gently stir in salmon. Serve and pass with Parmesan cheese, if desired.
To cook pearl barley, in medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 C. water to a boil. Add 1 C. pearl barley; return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
Yield: about 3-3 1/2 cups
Tip: Place extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for up to one week. Add cooked barley to soups, casseroles and salads for extra fiber and flavor.