Basic Croissants with Simple Frosting
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 packs active dry yeast
- 5 C. flour
- 1¼ C. cold butter
- 1 C. warm water
- ¾ C. low-fat cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- ⅓ C. sugar
- 2 egg
- 1/3 C. butter or margarine
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 4 to 5 tbs. lemon juice
- Create your yeast mixture in a large mixing bowl with warm water as directed on package.
- Mix melted butter, sugar, cream, salt, egg, flour and stir well.
- Add yeast mixture and stir.
- Combine remaining cold butter in chunks and remaining flour in a large bowl.
- Mix in yeast mixture and knead well.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Separate the dough into 4 sections and knead each section about 5 times, while rotating dough on a floured surface.
- Cut each section into 8 pieces and roll and shape them into a crescent.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Beat egg with water and brush the croissants evenly.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- In a saucepan melt butter over low heat and remove.
- Stir in powdered sugar and lemon peel.
- Sir in the lemon juice until smooth and thick syrup forms.
Once the croissants have lightly cooled pour the frosting over the top of each croissant. Let sit or about 15 mintues.
Around The Web