Basil and Tomato Stuffed Grilled Chicken
10 min preparation + 15 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- For the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 tsp. coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- For the Stuffing:
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, cut into 1/4-in. thick slices
- Butterfly chicken breasts: Put halves on a cutting board, smooth sides down, with the pointed ends facing you. Starting on one long side, cut breasts almost in half horizontally (stop about 1/2 inch before reaching the opposite side). Open cut breasts like a book. Sprinkle each piece all over with 1/8 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Transfer to a plate, and coat both sides with garlic and oil. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Heat a grill or grill pan until medium-hot. Place 3 basil leaves on the bottom half of each opened chicken breast; top each with 2 slices tomato. Fold over other half of chicken breast, and secure with two toothpicks or short skewers.
- Grill chicken breasts, turning once, until golden brown on both sides and no longer pink in the center, about 15 minutes. Place on a clean serving platter; garnish with basil. If desired, remove toothpicks or skewers before serving.
Photo courtesy of Lisa Hubbard
Around The Web