BBQ Chicken With Sesame-Chili Sauce
- 8 1/2 oz. Jar plum sauce or 3/4 C. Sweet-and-sour sauce
- 1/3 C. Hoisin sauce
- 1/3 C. Soy sauce
- 3 Tbs. Honey
- 3 Tbs. Water
- 1 Tbs. Water
- 1 Tbs. Sesame seed
- 2 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tsp. Ginger root, grated or 1/2 Tsp. ground ginger
- 1-1/2 Tsp. Oriental chili sauce or several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce
- 1/2 Tsp. Five-spice powder
- 2 2-1/2 to 3-lb broiler-fryer chickens; quartered, or cut up
For Sesame-Chili Sauce, in a small saucepan combine all of the ingredients except chicken. Cook over medium heat till bubbly, stirring frequently. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
Rinse chicken; pat dry with paper towels. If desired, remove skin from chicken and discard. If using quartered chickens, break wing, hip, and drumstick joints so the bird will lie flat during cooking. Place chicken, skin side down, on an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 20 minutes. Turn; grill 15 to 25 minutes more or till tender and no longer pink. Brush with sauce frequently during the last 10 minutes of grilling. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Heat any remaining sauce either on the grill or stove top; pass with chicken.
Note: The Sesame-Chili Sauce can be made up to 5 days ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator.