Beef and Beer Irish Stew
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 pounds beef for stewing (you can pick up other pieces if you want)
- 1-tablespoon ordinary white flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 carrots cut into large pieces
- 2 onions sliced finely
- ½ teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups good Irish stout
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 cloves whole
- Fresh parsley chopped for garnishing
1. Preheat the oven to about 180 degrees
2. Mix the flour with salt and pepper
3. Pat the meat dry and dredge in seasoned flour.
4. In a Dutch oven, tip in the beef and sauté until browed all over. Remove the beef and set aside
5. In the same pan, put in the onions and sauté gently until golden brown. Add the vegetables and sauté again till cooked through.
6. Add the meat and to the pot and pour in the tomato paste, garlic paste, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
7. Stir well and then put in the bay leaves and cloves. Simmer till it reaches boiling point.
8. Now add the stout to the oven and stir to combine.
9. Transfer the pot to the oven and leave to simmer cook gently for 1 1/2 hours till cooked through.