Benihana Onion Soup
15 min preparation + 25 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- 4 C. chicken broth
- 2 C. water
- 1 white onion
- 1/2 carrot, chopped
- 1/2 celery, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 C. vegetable oil
- 1 C. milk
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 6 mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, diced
- Combine chicken broth and water in a pan over high heat.
- Coarsely chop one half of the white onion.
- Add the chopped onion, carrot, celery and salt to the pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, until onions start to become translucent.
- Heat 1 cup of vegetable oil in a small pan over medium heat.
- Slice the remaining white onion into thin slices.
- Dip the slices into milk, then into the flour.
- Fry the breaded onions until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel.
- When the soup has simmered for 10 minutes, strain the vegetables out of the broth and toss them out. Pour the broth back into the pan and keep it over low heat.
- To serve: pour broth into a bowl. Add few pieces of fried onion, mushrom slices and green onions.