Black Bean and Radish Burgers
- 3/4 C. plain nonfat yogurt plus 2 Tbs.
- 3 Tbs. prepared mango chutney plus 2 Tbs.
- 1 and 1/2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) black beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 and 1/2 C. cooked black beans
- 3/4 C. chopped red onion
- 1/2 C. plain dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 C. coarsely grated radishes
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 6 pitas, 6 or 7 inches in diameter, opened to form pockets
- 1 C. radish sprouts or alfalfa sprouts
- 1/4 C. chopped cilantro
In a small bowl, mix together 3/4 C. yogurt, 3 Tbs. chutney, the lime juice, and the jalapeno. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, up to 3 days. In a food processor or large mixing bowl, place the beans, onion, bread crumbs, radishes, curry powder, cumin, cardamom, coriander, ginger, the remaining 2 Tbs. yogurt and the remaining 2 Tbs. chutney. Process or mash with a potato masher to blend the ingredients and partially puree the beans. Prepare a barbecue fire, or preheat a gas grill or the broiler. Use your hands to form the bean mixture into 6 patties, each 3 or 4 inches in diameter. Grill or broil the patties, turning once carefully with a spatula, until browned and crusty on both sides, about 10 minutes total. Spoon about 1 Tbs. of the chutney yogurt into each pita pocket. Add the burgers, then garnish with the remaining chutney, yogurt, sprouts, and cilantro.
Makes 6 sandwiches.