Black Olive Caviar Bites
- 1 2 1/4 oz. can sliced black olives, drained and finely chopped
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh basil leaves
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1 hard-cooked egg
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1.2 C. crème fraiche, sour cream, or fresh white goat cheese
To make the caviar, stir together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust the seasoning. To prepare the egg, using a fork, finely crumble the egg in a small bowl. Season to taste.
To assemble each serving, starting at the handle end of the spoon, arrange rows of about 1/2 tsp. crème fraiche, sour cream, or goat cheese, about 1/2 tsp. egg, and about 1/2 tsp. caviar. Pass the assembled spoons on a tray or platter. Provide a glass or other container where your guests can place the spoons once they have taken their bite.
Advance preparation: The caviar will keep for up to 2 days in a covered container in the refrigerator. Assemble the spoons up to 1 hour before serving; cover and refrigerate.
Yield: 1/2 C. caviar (enough for 48 spoon-size bites)