Blueberry Oat Muffins
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 C. Quaker Oats, quick or old fashioned, uncooked
- 1 C. low fat buttermilk
- 1/4 C. egg substitute or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbs. margarine, melted
- 1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbs. granulated sugar or heat-stable sugar substitute equal to 3 Tbs. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1 C. fresh or frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray twelve medium muffin cups with cooking spray. In medium bowl, combine oats and buttermilk; mix well. Let stand 10 minutes. Stir in egg substitute, margarine and lemon peel until blended.
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar or sweetener, baking powder, baking soda and salt; mix well. Add oat mixture all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not over-mix.) Gently stir in berries. Fill muffin cups almost full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes; remove from pan. Serve warm.
Yield: 1 dozen