Bowties with Chicken and Mushrooms
- 12 oz. bow tie pasta
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. margarine or butter
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 oz. shitake mushrooms, stems removed and caps thinly sliced
- 4 oz. oyster mushrooms, tough stem ends removed and caps thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with garlic press
- 1 C. frozen pea1/4 C. heavy or whipping cream
- 2 Tbs. brandy
In large saucepot, prepare pasta in boiling salted water as label directs. Meanwhile, in nonstick 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot. Add chicken, pepper, and 1/2 tsp. salt, and cook 5 minutes or just until chicken loses its pink color inside, stirring frequently. Transfer chicken to plate: keep warm.
In same skillet, melt margarine or butter. Add mushrooms, onion, garlic, and 1/4 tsp. salt, and cook until vegetables are tender and golden, about 15 minutes, stirring often. Stir in frozen peas, cream and brandy: heat to boiling. Remove skillet from heat.
When pasta has cooked to desired doneness, remove 1/2 C. pasta cooking water. Drain pasta; return to saucepot. Add mushroom mixture chicken and reserved pasta cooking water; toss well.
Yield: 4 main dish servings