Braised Artichokes with Little Onions and Bacon
Serving Size / Yield
- 12 small or 6 large artichokes, trimmed, halved lengthwise, and chokes removed if necessary
- 1 pint boiling onions, boiled in water to cover for 1 minute, drained, and peeled; or 1 16-ounce package baby onions, thawed
- 1/2 lb. slab bacon, cut into thick chunks, fried until beginning to crisp, and drained on paper towels
- 1 large ripe tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbs. good-quality olive oil
- 1 C. dry white wine
- 1 scant tsp. dried Italian herbs, such as oregano, marjoram, rosemary, and thyme, or a prepared mix
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Combine all the ingredients in a large heavy saucepan. Cover and simmer over low heat until the artichokes are very tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Remove the cover and boil for a short time to reduce the sauce slightly. Serve warm, or at room temperature with the sauce spooned over.
Makes 6 servings.
Per serving: 226 calories; 10 g fat (2.5 g saturated fat; 40 percent calories from fat); 25 g carbohydrates; 9 mg cholesterol; 390 mg sodium; 10 g protein; 11 g fiber.
Need more help?
Chef Todd Mohr of WebCookingClasses.com shares his tips on braising. Want to learn more? Click here for a 14 day free trial from WebCookingClasses.com!