Butternut Squash with Apple Soup
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 1 C. onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 Tbs. unbleached flour
- 2 C. low sodium chicken broth, fat free
- 2 1/2 lb. peeled, seeded and med cubed butternut squash
- 2 apples, Gala, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp. salt or 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 1/4 C. 2% milk
- Non-fat Sour Cream
In a large dutch oven pan, add butter. Place over medium heat until butter melts. Add onion and garlic and saute til tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Stir in chicken broth and the next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until squash is tender. Let cool.
In a food processor with a knife blade, add squash mixture in medium quantities and blend until smooth. Continue until it is all smooth, scraping down the sides of the processor.
Return mixture to pan and add milk. Cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Add more milk if needed so that the soup only holds a show of a swirl when stirred. It is a full bodied soup. Ladle into individual bowls. Add a dollop of sour cream to each bowl and serve.