Caramelized Apple and Leek Soup with Cider Cream
- Cider Cream:
- 1/2 C. low fat sour cream
- 1 C. apple cider
- 6 potatoes, peeled and cubed into bite sized pieces
- 4 C. chicken stock
- 1 lb. smoked turkey bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 leeks, sliced thinly (using only the white part)
- 3 Granny Smith apples (or other firm, tart apple), peeled, cored and cubed in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 C. low fat plain yogurt
In small mixing bowl, combine sour cream and apple cider. Cover and set aside. (Can be made 1 day ahead and refrigerated)
In large pan, over high heat, bring the cubed potatoes and chicken stock to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook, uncovered, until tender, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat, until browned and crispy, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Drain on paper towels. Discard all but about 2 tablespoons of bacon grease and add apples and leeks to pan. Sauté over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes until apples and leeks are golden brown and slightly crispy.
Add the bacon, the leek/apple mixture, and the heavy whipping cream to potato/stock mixture when potatoes are tender. Stir to mix. Microwave cider cream for a few seconds to warm.
Ladle into bowls and drizzle with the cider cream. Serve hot.