Caribbean Grilled Chicken
- 4 chicken breast halves, skin on, bone in
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 2 fresh limes or 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1/4 C. finely diced bacon
- 1/2 C. finely chopped onion
- 1/2 C. thinly sliced green bell pepper strips
- 1/2 C. finely chopped celery
- 2 C. diced canned tomatoes and their juices
- 1 C. chicken stock
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
To grill chicken, season the chicken with salt and pepper and marinate in lime or lemon juice for 10 minutes. While this is marinating, heat the grill. Grill for 10 minutes on each side or until just cooked through. Keep the skin on as you grill the chicken to keep it moist. You can take the skin off after cooking. While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce.
To make the sauce, in a 2-qt. saucepan, over medium heat, heat the oil and bacon. When the bacon is brown, add the onion, green pepper and celery and cook, covered, over low heat for 10 minutes or until tender. Add the tomatoes and their juices, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Yield: 4 servings