Caroline's Creamy Rutabaga Soup
- 1 1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 med. ribs celery, chopped
- 1/3 C. raw white rice
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 3 lb. rutabagas, peeled and chopped
- 4 C. chicken broth (2 cans works)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 C. milk
- sour cream and chopped chives for garnish
Saute celery and onion in 1 1/2 Tbs. butter over med/low heat until tender (about 8 minutes). Stir in rice, rutabagas, chicken broth and 3 C. water. Bring to simmer over high heat and stir. Season lightly with salt, cover partially and simmer till rutabagas are tender. (Approximately 1 hour). Pour soup, adding a little milk if needed, in batches in a blender. Do NOT use a food processor. Correct seasonings with salt and pepper. Can make two days ahead at this point.
To serve, stir in remaining milk to soup and simmer. Season to taste and garnish with chives and sour cream.