Serving Size / Yield
- 1 can or bottle (12 to 15 oz.) carrot juice, plus enough water to equal 2 C.
- 1 14.5-oz. can vegetable broth
- 1/2 C. dry white wine
- 1 1/4 C. water
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 C. shredded carrots
- 1/2 sm. onion, finely chopped
- 2 C. Arborio rice or medium-grain rice
- 1/3 C. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 Tbs. coarsely chopped fresh mint or parsley (optional)
In saucepan, heat carrot juice, broth, wine and water to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low to maintain simmer; cover.
In 3- to 3 1/2-quart microwave-safe casserole, combine oil, carrots and onion. Cook, uncovered in microwave oven on high until onion has softened, about 2 minutes. Add rice and stir until rice grains are opaque. Cook on high 1 minute.
Stir hot liquid into rice mixture. Cover casserole with lid or vented plastic wrap and cook on Medium (50% power) until most of the liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender but still firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with mint, if you like.
Each serving: About 570 calories, 15g protein, 105g carbohydrate, 7g total fat (2g sat.), 7mg cholesterol, 1,110mg sodium.