- 5 fully cooked bratwurst or knockwurst (about 1 lb.)
- 2 oz. Monterey Jack cheese with caraway seed
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 C.)
- 5 slices bacon
- 5 French-style rolls or frankfurter buns, halved lengthwise
- Catsup, mustard, chopped onion, and/or pickle relish (optional)
Cut a lengthwise slit in each bratwurst or knockwurst about 1/2 inch deep. Cut cheese into five 2 1/2x1/2x1/4-inch strips. Insert a cheese strip and some of the green onion into each brat or knockwurst. Wrap a slice of bacon around each. Fasten the bacon with wooden toothpicks.
For a charcoal grill, arrange preheated coals around a drip pan in a grill that has a cover. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place brats, cheese side up, on the grill rack directly over the pan. Cover and grill for 5-10 minutes or until bacon is crisp and cheese is melted. For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust for indirect cooking. Place brats on grill rack; cover and grill.
Place brats in French-style rolls or buns. If desired, serve with catsup, mustard, chopped onion, and/or pickle relish.
Yield: 5 servings