Cheesy Roasted Vegetable Pasta Bake
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 lb. plum tomatoes, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 1 head broccoli, chunked
- 2 large yellow bell peppers, seeded and quartered
- 2 large poblano chilies, stemmed, seeded, and quartered
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large red onion, peeled and chunked
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 2 Tbs. capers, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbs. oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, sliced thin
- 1 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 2 C. stock
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 1/4 C. Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 lb. mozzarella, shredded
- 1/2 C. Parmesan cheese, grated
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
On a baking sheet with sides, place the prepared tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, chili peppers, carrots, onions, garlic, and capers. Drizzle with the oil and toss until coated. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30 minutes, or until the vegetables begin to brown. Toss occasionally with spatula.
While the vegetables are cooking, melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in the flour, whisking for about 2 minutes. Stir in the stock, a little at a time. Add the oregano, onion, and Parmesan. Cook until it thickens, stirring constantly. Remove the onion pieces and set aside.
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and toss with 1 Tbs. sauce. J
Transfer the roasted vegetables to a cutting board and cut into bite sized pieces. Add in 3/4 C. basil and bacon. Toss to distribute evenly.
Increase the oven heat to 375 degrees. Pour 1/3 sauce into the bottom of the grease baking dish. Layer the vegetables, pasta, mozzarella, remaining pasta, 1/3 sauce, remaining mozzarella, remaining vegetables, remaining sauce, and the Parmesan. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.