Chicken and Orzo with Lemon and Olives
- 4-6 chicken thighs or 8 drumsticks or 4 whole chicken legs
- Salt, pepper to taste
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 1/2 C. orzo
- 3 C. chicken broth
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 small lemon, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 C. pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 large bay leaf
- 3 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano, divided or 1 Tbs. dried oregano
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Season the chicken well on all sides with 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. pepper.
In a Dutch oven or large stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the legs well on all sides. Make sure to brown well - 5-8 minutes depending on thickness of chicken. Remove from the pan.
Add the orzo, chicken stock, garlic, lemon wedges and juice, olives, bay leaf and 1 Tbs. of the oregano. Stir to combine all the ingredients, then return the chicken to the pan. Cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is done (the meat will be firm and its juices will run clear). Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary, sprinkle with the remaining oregano and serve.