Chicken and Pasta Tossed with Sauteed Green Onions
- 12 oz. penne, ziti, or fusilli pasta
- 2 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 1 lb. chicken cutlets, cut into 2 inch wide strips
- 1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. margarine or butter
- 4 bunches green onions (about 1 lb.), trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3/4 C. chicken broth.
In large saucepot, prepare pasta in boiling salted water as label directs. Meanwhile, in nonstick 12 inch skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until browned. With slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. To bacon drippings in skillet, add chicken, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt, and cook over medium high heat 4 minutes or just until chicken loses its pink color throughout, stirring frequently. Transfer chicken with any juices to plate; keep warm.
In same skillet, melt margarine or butter over medium heat. Add green onions, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/4 tsp. salt, and cook until green onions are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken broth; heat to boiling over medium high heat. Drain pasta; return to saucepot. Add green onion mixture and chicken with it’s juices; toss well. Sprinkle with bacon to serve.
Yield: 4 servings