Chicken Salad Sombreros
- 1 C. Green Chile Mayonnaise (recipe below)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 whole chicken breasts, poached and cubed
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 C. seedless green grapes
- Salt/fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 4 flour tortillas
- 3 C. finely shredded leaf lettuce
- 1 C. Longhorn cheddar or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 C. sliced black olives
- 1 bunch green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 C. toasted pine nuts, almonds, or walnuts
- 1/2 C. fresh cilantro leaves if desired
In a large bowl combine mayonnaise and cumin. Stir in chicken, celery, grapes, salt and pepper. Chill until serving time. In medium skillet, heat 1 inch of oil to 365 degrees. Slide a tortilla into the oil. Cook for 30 seconds, turn and cook the other side. When crispy and golden, remove from oil and drain well on paper towels. Fry remaining tortillas. To construct each sombrero, place 1 fried tortilla on each serving plate.
Scatter lettuce over the tops. Top each with a mound of chicken salad. Garnish salads with cheese, olives, green onions, and nuts. Serve immediately.
Note: The tortillas can also be fried and formed into bowl-shapes using a ladle to hold/shape the bowls under the oil in a deep saucepan filled approximately half-way with oil. Either way, you can fry the tortillas several hours ahead, they will stay crisp.