Chicken Thighs With Peppers and Olives
- 12 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (2 to 2-1/2 lb. total)
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C. uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 tsp. thread saffron, crushed, or 1/8 tsp. ground saffron
- 1/2 C. pimiento-stuffed green olives, halved
- 1/2 C. dry white wine, dry vermouth or chicken broth
- Lemon wedges
Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a 12 inch skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook about 10 minutes or until browned, turning once. Remove chicken, reserving 1 Tbs. drippings in skillet. Add onion, sweet pepper strips, and garlic to skillet; cook and stir for 4 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in rice and saffron. Add olives; wine, vermouth, or chicken broth; and 1-1/2 C. water. Bring to boiling. Return chicken to skillet; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 25 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink and rice is tender. Serve with lemon wedges.
Makes 6 servings.