Chile Relleno Casserole
Serving Size / Yield
- cooking spray
- one 4-oz. can whole green chilies, drained
- 1/2 C. frozen chopped onion
- 2 Tbs. golden raisins
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 C. shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 Tbs. crumbled goat cheese, preferably low-fat
- 2 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 C.egg substitute
- 1/3 C. evaporated skim milk
- 1/8 tsp. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a shallow 1-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
Cut the chilies lengthwise into quarters. Arrange half of them in the prepared casserole. In a small bowl, combine onion, raisins, garlic, Monterey Jack cheese and goat cheese. Sprinkle half the cheese mixture over the chiles in the dish. Sprinkle on the cilantro. Top with remaining chiles and onion-cheese mixture.
In small bowl, whisk together egg substitute, skim milk and hot pepper sauce. Pour mixture into casserole dish. Using a knife, move chilies slightly to allow egg mixture to flow to bottom of dish.
Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly and egg mixture is set when casserole is shaken gently. Serve at once.