Chile Relleno with Chicken Casserole
Serving Size / Yield
- 3 sm. poblano peppers
- 1 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 2 oz. onion, sliced
- ½ tsp. dried guajillo chile, seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ tsp. dried ancho chile powder
- ¼ tsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 C. store bought tomatoes and green chiles, omit liquid
- ¼ C. cilantro, chopped
- 6 oz. Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Remove tops of poblano peppers and remove seeds. Cut in halves, place on non-stick backing sheet; roast for 15-20 minutes turning once.
3. Remove peppers from oven and cool. Once cool remove the skin from peppers.
4. Turn oven to 350°F.
5. In a non-stick skillet heat oil. Place onions in oil and sauté until tender.
6. Add chicken to the skillet and cook until chicken is no longer pink and liquid runs clear.
7. Add guajillo chile, ancho chile powder, chili powder, garlic powder, store bought tomatoes and green chiles and cilantro. Simmer for 3-4 minutes.
8. place the skinned poblano peppers in the bottom of casserole dish. Top with ½ the chicken mixture and sprinkle ½ cheese on top. Pour the remaining chicken mixture on top and finish with the remaining cheese.
9. Place casserole in the oven and cook for 20 minutes more or until the cheese is melted.