Chocolate Beet Coconut Cake With Chocolate Icing
Serving Size / Yield
- 4 egg whites
- good pinch salt
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 C. vegetable oil
- 3 cups natural canned beets, drained, juice reserved, mashed with a potato masher
- 2 C. Osem Matza Cake Meal
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 C. juice from the canned beets (add a little water to complete 1 cup if necessary)
- 1 C. cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 C. unsweetened grated coconut, packed
- 1 C. real semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tbs. oil
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
Make the cake: With an electric mixer, whip the egg whites and salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar gradually and whip until stiff. Switch to low speed and, allowing only enough time to combine the ingredients, beat in one ingredient at a time, just a few seconds each time—the yolks, then the oil, etc., until all ingredients are incorporated. Pour the batter into a greased tube pan or a 10-inch round pan or 11x14-inch pan, and bake for 1 hour or until the point of a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Make the icing: Melt the chocolate chips with the oil on a very low flame until melted (microwave OK). Drizzle slowly and steadily over the cake until the whole top of the cake is covered. Let the cake cool. Makes 16 ample servings.
Shared by Levana Kirschenbaum for Osem.