Chocolate Cake by Carolynn
Serving Size / Yield
- 1/2 C. water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2/3 C. white sugar
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 18, 1 oz. squares bittersweet chocolate
- 1 C. butter or margarine, cold
- 6 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease one 10 inch spring-form pan. Set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add to the ½ cup water, salt and sugar. Stir until the salt and sugar are completely dissolved. Set aside.
3. Using a microwave, melt the bittersweet chocolate. Start with 2 minutes then stir, being careful to check it every minute thereafter to stir. Do not burn! Once it is fully melted, add the chocolate into a mixing bowl.
4. Slice the butter into 1 tablespoon chunks and beat the butter into the chocolate, 1 bit at a time- running the mixer continuously.
5. Then, beat in the hot sugar water solution.
6. Gradually, beat in the eggs, one at a time. Allow the mixer to run for 2-3 minutes o give it a bit of loft, but not more, or there will be visible bubbles in the finished product.
7. Pour the mixture into the prepared spring-form pan.
8. Place the spring-form pan into the center of a cookie sheet with edges, and fill the cookie sheet with hot water so that it fills the cookie sheet. (it is easiest to place the cookie sheet into the oven, and then fill it with water with the cake pan already in place in the center of the cookie sheet.)
9. Bake the chocolate cake in the water bath at 300 degrees F for 45 minutes. The cake itself will still appear wet. Allow cake to cool for an hour, then cover with foil and chill in the fridge overnight. Unmold from the spring-form, and cut with a hot knife.
Submitted by: Carolynn Evans