Chocolate Orange Blossom Cake
- 1 18 1/4 oz. box devil's food cake mix
- 1 1/4 C. buttermilk
- 1/2 C. oil
- 3 large eggs
- 3 Tbs. orange liqueur or 1 Tbs. orange extract
- 1 C. mini semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 sticks (2 cups) butter, softened
- 2 7 oz. jars or 1 16 oz. tub marshmallow cream (such as Marshmallow fluff or Creme)
- 2 C. confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 C. grated orange zest from 3 to 4 oranges
- 2 Tbs. orange juice
Heat oven 350 degrees. You'll need two 9x2-in. round cake pans coated with nonstick spray. Beat cake mix, buttermilk, oil, eggs and liqueur in a large bowl with mixer on low speed 30 seconds or until blended. Scrape down sides of bowl beat on medium speed 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake 28-32 minutes until a wooden pick inserted in centers of cakes comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes, invert on rack, turn right side up and cool completely.
To make frosting, beat butter in a large bowl with a mixer on medium speed until creamy. Beat in marshmallow cream. When well blended, beat in confectioners' sugar, vanilla, orange zest and juice. Increase speed to high and beat 3-4 minutes until fluffy makes 5 C.
Place 1 cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with 1 C. frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread top and sides with remaining frosting. Decorate with cut orange slices.
From: Womans Day magazine April 1, 2007 edition