Chocolate Soda Bread
Serving Size / Yield
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 6 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, cut into 1/3-inch pieces
- 6 ounces candied orange peel, diced
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg
Preheat your oven to 350°F. Line your baking sheet with buttered parchment paper. Whisk first 5 ingredients in large bowl and add butter. Knead in with fingertips until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Stir in chocolate and, if desired, orange peel. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk and egg, then add to dry ingredients. Stir just until they are blended.
Knead dough on floured work surface for about five turns. Form into 6 1/2-inch-diameter round, about 2 to 2 1/2 inches high pieces. Transfer to baking sheet and cut 1-inch-deep, 3-inch-long slits in top of dough. Bake until well-browned and very firm when pressed on. Let it cool and then enjoy!