Chunky Vegetable Chili
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 Tbs. ground chili powder
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 15 1/2 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 15 1/2 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 15 1/2 oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed under cold water
- 1 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 2 C. spicy tomato juice or Bloody Mary mix
- 1 bunch cilantro (flat-leaf parsley), leaves only, chopped
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
Spray a 6-quart slow cooker with vegetable oil cooking spray. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and peppers and cook until soft, 7-8 minutes. Add the carrots, celery, chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes. Place the cooked vegetables in the slow cooker. Add the black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, and tomato juice. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until the vegetables are tender. Stir in the cilantro before serving. If desired, garnish with the cheddar cheese.
Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: Calories 276 (From Fat 58); Fat 6g (Saturated 1g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 1645mg; Carbohydrate 47g (Dietary Fiber 15g); Protein 13g.