Classic Crockpot Beef Stew
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 1/2 lbs. beef, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
- 1 T. vegetable oil
- 3 C. medium white potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 1/4 C. beef broth
- 1 T. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 C. thawed frozen peas
Season the beef with black pepper. Coat the beef with two tablespoons flour. Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef in two batches and cook until it's well browned, stirring often.
Place the potatoes, carrots, onions, and garlic into a slow cooker. Top with the beef and add three cups broth, Worcestershire, thyme, and bay leaf.
Cover and cook on low for 10 hours or until the beef is fork-tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
Stir the remaining flour and broth in a small bowl until the mixture is smooth. Stir the flour mixture and peas in the cooker. Increase the heat to high. Cover and cook for another 15 minutes or until the mixture boils and thickens.