Clint Eastwood's Spaghetti Western
- 1/2 C. chopped shallots
- 1/2 C. finely chopped celery
- 1/2 C. thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1/2 C. thinly sliced yellow or green bell pepper
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 1 14 1/2 oz. can whole tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 C. tomato puree
- 1/2 C. fish stock or bottled clam juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. anchovy paste
- 1 1/2 tsp. saffron threads or ground turmeric salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 large mussels in shells, scrubbed and beards removed
- 1 10 oz. pkg. frozen artichoke hearts, thawed and drained
- 4 fresh jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 4 sea scallops, quartered (1 oz.)
- 1 8 oz. pkg. spaghetti
- 1/2 C. whipping cream
- 2 Tbs. Pernod liqueur (optional)
- 1 6 1/2 oz. can clams, drained and chopped
- Celery leaves (optional)
Saute shallots, celery, red and yellow or green bell pepper and garlic in oil for about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add tomatoes and liquid, puree, fish stock or clam juice, bay leaf, anchovy paste, saffron, salt and black pepper to sautéed vegetables.
Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
While vegetable mixture is cooking, pour 1 inch water into 3-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil. Add mussels in shells and cook, covered, for 4 minutes or just until shells open. Drain. Using sharp knife, cut mussels away from shells. Reserve 12 shells and discard remainder. Rinse mussels under cold running water and set aside.
Add artichoke hearts, shrimp and scallops to vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring frequently, over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Prepare pasta according to package directions. While pasta cooks continue with preparation of sauce. Drain pasta well before using. Stir cream and liqueur into seafood mixture. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Add clams and mussels to sauce. Cook for 1 minute or until thoroughly heated.
To serve, divide spaghetti among 4 large shallow bowls. Discard bay leaf from sauce. Remove shrimp, mussels and artichoke hearts from sauce; return mussels to reserved shells and set shrimp and artichoke hearts aside. Spoon sauce over pasta and garnish each serving with 1 shrimp, 3 mussels, 3 artichoke hearts and celery leaves.
Yield: 4 servings