Cold Strawberry Soup
- 1 C. sugar
- 1 C. water
- 1/2 C. cornstarch
- 1 Tbs. vanilla
- 1 1/2 C. grape juice or wine
- 2 pt. strawberries
- 1/4 C. lemon juice
- 1/2 C. orange juice concentrate
- 1 1/2 C. additional juice (can be grape, orange, or apple)
- 2 C. sour cream or yogurt (optional)
1. Mix sugar and cornstarch, then add additional juice and water.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened.
3. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
4. Set aside the prettiest strawberries (about half the container) for garnish and mash the remainder
5. Add lemon juice and orange juice concentrate to mashed strawberries.
6. Add to soup mixture.
7. Add remaining juice or wine until desired consistency is reached.
8. Sour cream or yogurt can be added to the soup at this point, if desired.
9. Chill and serve, topped with strawberry slices.From Budget Cooking Elegant Dining: The Kosher Experience, by Sue Epstein